Saturday, January 17, 2015

The experiments; pointing



To experience first hand who/what we really are; transparent capacity, we need to DO the experiments that were designed by douglas Harding and taught by Richard Lang now. These experiments are very simple and work for many people.

I will post them one by one.

They come straight from the Headless website: www.headless.org

Experiment 1 POINTING

Who are you really? Not who are you in other people’s eyes, or in the mirror, or according to your beliefs and unexamined assumptions, but in your own direct experience.

Great spiritual teachers say you are not your appearance – deep down, secretly, nearer to you than your breathing, you are capacity for the world. They say that to discover this wonderful truth about yourself you must look simply and innocently, as a child looks. Where do you look? Right where you are, at the Looker. When? Now.

To see Who you really are, carry out the following experiment.

When you point anywhere in the world you point at appearances. You are distant from what you are looking at and you see things, you see objects. Observe this – direct your attention at things by pointing at them. (The following images are a guide only -- it's imperative to actually DO the experiment.)



For example, I can see the shapes and colours of this room…










of my foot...







...of my knee










of my chest...






In all these instances attention is directed outwards, at objects.






Now point where others see your face.




What do you see? You are now looking inwards – turning the direction of your attention round 180˚ from the objects out there to you the Subject, to the place you are looking out of. Do you see your face? Do you see anything at all there - any colour or shape, any movement?

Looking in to the place where others see my face, I find no colour or shape here. I find boundless capacity or awareness this side of my pointing finger. This capacity is empty, clear, transparent. It is self-evidently awake, aware.

At the same time this capacity is full of everything happening in it: my finger, my view of the scene beyond, sounds, feelings…

I am now seeing Who I really am – seeing the boundless One at the very heart of myself, the One in whom the world is happening.

What do you find? Are you also looking out of this wide-open, crystal clear, awareness?

Pointing Home MoviePointing Home Movie (1991 kb)




No comments:

Post a Comment