Saturday, May 3, 2014

Living without

Before I forget: YES, THERE IS A MEDITATION CLASS on on MONDAY. In spite of the Bangtail Muster holiday. 20 Kidman Street, 6pm





I have to live without electricity for a week or so due to a problem at my house.
This turns out to be much easier then I thought. The weather is cool, cold even at night, so I put juices etc outside. I have a couple of very good long life candles that smell good too. I make sure I have a charge in my computer, modem and telephone before going home, so that I can have an hour or so of Internet in bed.
I get up with the light and go to bed when it gets dark, like people did perhaps when they did not live in houses.
The house I live in is really ugly so I do not need to see it all the time.
This is going to be my next challenge: to make something beautiful out of something ugly.
Except if the problem doesn't get solved, then I will have to move.
I have few belongings, so moving will be a breeze.
I shed more stuff as I get older. I have donated all my books to the library lately, except for my art books.



Here's a good website about modern people's addiction to stuff: www.storyofstuff.org

The Buddha understood deeply that stuff is a burden. He said that if one owns an alms bowl to eat and drink from, a robe to wear and access to medicines one has enough to lead a good life. Later a razor was added, to shave one's head, and an extra robe for when robe 1 is being washed. As accommodation he recommended the foot of a tree.







No comments:

Post a Comment