Friday, March 21, 2014

Taking Insight from the Meditation Room into the Wild

So far we've covered: Loving-kindness contemplation and the body sweep to tackle (self)hatred. When we feel comfortable with this practice, especially with sending loving-kindness to our enemies, we are ready to take loving-kindness from the meditation room into the world. Small kind acts towards others can be practiced anywhere; it's easy and rewarding to smile to a stranger. Next time a stranger smiles to you for no reason at all, notice how good it feels.
I was helped out the other day when my credit card was refused in a restaurant where I drank a coffee. I realized then and there that I had not recharged it. Embarrassed and nervous I was fishing for my last coins. Next to me stood a young German tourist. She saw me struggle and did not hesitate for a second. She paid for my coffee. "It's only money," she said. "And money is not important."
I told her she made my day and that I would buy someone else a coffee soon.
"Yeah,that's how we should live," she said.
I was light with happiness that whole day by her friendly gesture. And by the fact that she did not want anything back.

Changing our behavior and attitude when we are around those who challenge us, irritate us,or make us angry is a next step in the practice of loving-kindness.
During my time in the monastery I was really really irritated by a foolish monk (see the first story of this blog: A Nun in the Wild). My teacher told me to make him and my irritation about him my teacher. Thus I sat through his weekly sermons week after week. Slowly I began to understand that what I found irritating in him was actually also in me. This is why I was irritated! I was secretly a similar patronizing preacher as he was. This was a shocking and sobering realization of which I learned a lot.

It is good to keep doing the loving kindness contemplation in the meditation room. Guided meditation is great here.



No comments:

Post a Comment