Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The realm of non-suffering*

I've been listening to Eckhart Tolle's lessons for teachers. The frustrating thing with Tolle is that he says great things, but also embarrassingly stupid things, unscientific things. He even talks of astrology in the teachers series. Go away Tolle! Astrology! Give us a break, will ye? The teachers series is not exactly helpful. Sometimes Tolle is downright crazy with his long silent gazes and little laughs...
But there is a student who asks a great question:
"Why do we have to do all these exercises when you (and many) other teachers woke up because of something completely different."
In Tolle's case he woke up because he suffered so much that he could not live with himself anymore. He then saw that the 'I" and the "myself" he could not live with anymore where not the same thing. A split occurred and bang! his suffering ended.

What I find frustrating about Tolle too is that he cannot explain how to get to where he is dwelling most of the time: in the realm of non-suffering.

This is not only the problem with Tolle, it is the problem with many teachers of enlightenment.

Enlightenment is not difficult. Enlightenment is very near. Nearer then you think. You can step out of suffering quite easily. The realm you're looking for is right there at the surface of things.

I understood this when in the monastery.

I float in and out that realm now. The more I have been there the easier it gets. When I'm in it I experience the world as "flow". When I'm out of it I am following my thoughts, I am lost in thoughts, I am identified with Form. The flow-existence is definitely better. Its' vastness makes my body produce pangs of fear though. I try to observe these pangs. And at the same time observe the observer who is aware of these pangs. That is how I keep myself in the realm of flow. It is a good way to overcome boredom, for example while waiting in line in the bank.





* Suffering is not a good translation of the Pali word Dukkha. Dukkha refers to all things being slightly to moderately to very unsatisfying. We do not have such a word in English.






No comments:

Post a Comment